Friday, January 18, 2008

Computer update


It looks like tomorrow I'll be getting a new HD for the computer. the Windows on my old HD locks up when it boots. My stuff is still there, I just need a new HD to access it. My Aptiva has stepped in to fill the void while my Dell is down. the Aptiva has given good service but she's old, really old. even stripped down to the bare bones, it takes a while to get anywhere. we can check email and pay bills but thats about it. Needless to say things like LoS, the Broadsword Adventure, and my PBEM have taken a major hit. This all just happens to come at the busiest time of the year at work, so even blog posts have to wait to get done on the lunch hour. I hope to be up again by Sunday. but you know what they say: Hope is a lying bitch.

3 comments:

  1. Good luck to you - I know your pain!

    Here's an idea to speed up your Aptiva (if it can handle it). Try installing Ubuntu (the new Gutsy Gibbon release). I think you'd approve.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:53 PM

    Wow. When I saw the pic I thought for a second that that was actually your computer. My heart skipped a beat for you, there.

    Anyway. Glad it's not.
    So... stopping at Windows,huh? Hm.
    Will it not boot in Safe Mode? I s'pose not since your computer knowledgable buddy told you you have a bad HD. That sucks, man.
    If you suspected virus or some other malware before, did you run checks? Run a full scan w/ your resident anti-virus, then an online scan such as House Call, then scans w/ free anti-spyware such as SyBot and AdAware, then scan for rootkits with Panda AntiRootkit or some such and so on??

    Was it acting a lil odd before it went down? At least a little? I find it weird the the drive would crap out totally with no warning. *shrugs* Who knows, computers are odd beasts.

    Do yourself a huge favor. Get Acronis True Image or similar and make an image of your drive every so often. That way, if there's a problem, you just load in the last image and go, or if the system completely goes kaput you have a recent image to put on a new drive, and have lost nothing at all. Backup, backup, backup my good man.

    Also (as if I haven't rambled enough) if you ever need anymore help or whathaveyou, try the very helpful folks at either:

    www.techsupportforum.com

    www.geekstogo.com

    Best of luck workin' this mess out, man.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I booted my gaming rig up and nothing, not even a BIOS beep, and after weeks of poking around and changing components it looks like my mobo is toasted, so I feel your pain brother.

    ReplyDelete